Even the best coordinate measuring machines can’t perform in an excellent manner unless they are fitted with the proper software. New applications are appearing on the market on a regular basis, making the metrology task easier while improving measuring speed and results.
Whether you are choosing a new CMM or sending your old unit to be retrofitted, software is one of the first things to pay attention to. CMM software can either improve your measuring time and quality or keep it at a low level. So what is the best CMM software today?
At Status Metrology, we work with different CMM programmes. However, our experts believe that the best software today is PC-DMIS. This is our program of choice for all retrofits and upgrades.
PC-DMIS – Benefits
PC-DMIS comes in several variations to suit specific machines and inspection needs. The software is powerful enough to handle even the toughest tasks.
PC-DMIS is manufactured by Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence. The company provides ongoing responsive support and frequent upgrades, which makes the software an excellent long term investment.
Other advantages include:
- Excellent user interface
- Low learning curve
- Smaller file sizes (simplified email sending)
- CAD data incorporation (with PC-DMIS CAD and CAD++)
- Quicker inspection process
PC-DMIS – Versions
Hexagon offers several versions of their CMM software to suit the measuring needs of different industries.
- PC-DMIS Pro – Flagship package which doesn’t require CAD data, making it a perfect choice for non-CAD applications. It offers advanced measuring, analytical, and reporting capabilities.
- PC-DMIS CAD – Applies CAD technology to the inspection process. It creates inspection routines in a virtual environment, as well as all kinds of visual models, and allows import and exports of CAD data in any format.
- PC-DMIS CAD ++ - Features an advanced set of measurement tools for improved scanning, part alignment, and analysis. It uses data from noncontact sensors, cameras, and laser-scanning probes and improves the measuring capabilities of different CMM machines.
- PC –DMIS Touch – Created specifically for Romer Absolute Arms. The program is tablet-based, has a full set of inspection tools, and provides 2-D or 3-D dimensional reporting.
- PC – DMIS Portable – Created for portable CMM devices. It has all the features of the above versions, a simple and customisable UI, and a wide range of automation choices, from manual to automated inspection routines for DCCs.
- PC-DMIS Vision – designed to simplify the visual inspection process. It provides simulated camera measurements, online and offline programming options, a wide range of editing tools, advanced algorithms for accurate edge detection, and more.
PC-DMIS 2018 – The Latest Edition
In February 2018, Hexagon launched the newest edition: PC-DMIS 2018 R1 (R2 followed in May). The newest version allows easy conversion of AutoFeatures to points or quick application of the measured hits for new Constructions and Dimensions, available for plane, cylinder, and circle AutoFeatures.
Hit to vector point conversion uses Optimize Path to improve the point measurement order, reducing the number of probe tip changes and total measuring time. The version also offers new support for Q-DAS traces, enabling quicker data analysis. Other upgrades are:
- Ability to modify measurement strategies while using QuickFeature and GD&T Selection
- QuickFeature measurement speed increase
- Improved Flush and Gap AutoFeature workflow for point cloud inspection process
- Improved INSPECT; including CAD and LIVE views from PC-DMIS
- Ability to create playlists
- CAD Rotation Widget
- And more.
Advanced CMM Hardware With PC-DMIS
At Status Metrology, we offer new and refurbished CMMs with PC-DMIS already installed. If you want to have your current machine upgraded, we can also retrofit it with the latest version of the software, even if it is a non-Hexagon CMM. For more information about PC-DMIS, please download our free Buyer’s Guide To PC-DMIS.